Activity #2

12:49 PM / Posted by Group 7 /


My best friend attends John Jay. For a while now he has been trying to get me to go visit him at his school. I decided to visit him during my long break on Tuesday. I decided to walk to John Jay, because I do not like to transfer between trains, and I had enough time to walk there and back. My friend had told me that his college was located on 58th street and 10th Ave., so I started my journey around 2 PM. I got to John Jay around 3 PM, and I noticed a lot of students in the streets because they were all carrying books on criminal justice, and they were either rushing to get to class or gathering on the sidewalk with their friends. At first glance I didn’t know what to think of this school, I could see the students but what buildings belonged to the school? I meet with my friend in front of the “T-building,” he explained to me that John Jay is made up of four buildings: the T-building (Tenth Avenue building), N-building (North Hall), the W-buildint (Westport building), and finally the BMW building. He told me that most classes were on the N,W, and T buildings. I decided to spend most of my time in the T-building because this building has the schools library, threater, a gymnasium, and a swimming pool. The first thing I noticed when I entered the building was that all students must scan their Id’s in order to get access to the building. I noticed a student eagerly looking through her bag looking for her Id. I assumed she was a freshman because all the other students had their Id ready in hand by the time they reach the gates. I used my Hunter Id to get in the college. Once in the college, the atmosphere of the building changed completely. From the outside, the building had the atmosphere of any other city building, while on the inside, the atmosphere on the inside was much more academic. There were students studying in the halls, people rushing in to class, professors pushing AV equipment in to classrooms. This visit to John Jay helped me experience a different college and see the difference between Hunter College and John Jay.
Ivan Tellez

0 comments:

Post a Comment